1) If you're thinking about pursuing private tutoring, it would be best to contact me at LEAST two to three months before the test/date you are planning to take so that you get good value and truly benefit from the tutoring sessions. If you're looking for private tutoring in one subject area, please get in touch with me at least six weeks before the test/date. The reason I suggest that students contact me at LEAST two to three months before the test/date is because I hold sessions once a week and the 8 session minimum needs to be fulfilled (8 sessions minimum is what I have found best for students to make solid improvements). I do not like to cram more than one session a week (unless it's a makeup) because I do not feel that students will get full value or improve by cramming in sessions this way. I assign homework after every session and I expect that it is 100% complete before the next session. I like to allow ample time (especially during the school year) for students to get their SAT homework done between sessions.
2) Make sure to bring your PSAT scores, previous SAT scores and results or
any diagnostics you have taken to the first session. This will help me
understand your strengths and weaknesses and we will go from there.
3) Make sure you are rested enough and awake for each session. You need to be fully awake and alert during the sessions so that you can benefit from them. If you are unable to keep up with the homework I assign at the sessions and/or are having trouble staying alert, I would be happy to talk with you and/or your parents/caretakers about how things can change so that you the student can feel less stressed and overwhelmed and more alert in general. Please note: if you nod off during a session, I will forgive it ONCE. The next time you do it, I will end the session right there and then (I'm a tutor, not a babysitter....if you/your parents want me to be a babysitter, you will have to pay extra for that :) and of course there will be no refund of any kind. It's up to you how seriously you want to take the whole process and how much you want to respect me and yourselves.
4) If you have certain conditions that you need to have satisfied so that you can focus during the sessions, please let me know. For example, if you cannot study with any noise, please let me know and I will make sure that there will be absolutely no noise around us during the sessions. At the same time, if you are someone who has an easier time focusing when there is noise around you, such as in a cafe, I will accommodate your needs this way too.
5) I have a one page contract that I have everyone sign (the student, parents/guardians and me, the tutor) before we begin so that everyone's expectations are clear. Please know that teaching is something that I absolutely love and I enjoy providing educational and mentor support. Throughout the process, you can email me or call me anytime with questions or thoughts that you have. Thank you : )
If you have any other questions, please feel free to email me at email@example.com